Parks Victoria’s Junior Ranger program encourages children aged 6 to 12 and their families to explore, appreciate and protect Victoria’s parks. Junior Rangers is designed to get kids outdoors, have fun, get active and learning about Victoria’s wonderful parks, wildlife and amazing natural and cultural heritage.
During the summer holidays, activities will be held throughout the southern Mornington Peninsula with a variety of free activities at Point Nepean National Park, Mornington Peninsula National Park, Mushroom Reef Marine Sanctuary and Coolart Wetlands and Historic Homestead.
The ever-popular ‘Rockpool Rambles’ invites kids to roam our rocky shores at Mushroom Reef Marine Sanctuary in Flinders or at London Bridge in Portsea as they discover strange critters living on our shoreline.
Families will love the ‘Beach Treasure Hunt’ at Mushroom Reef Marine Sanctuary and Point Nepean, working together as a treasure hunt team to discover colours, textures and patterns hidden along the shoreline.
The plight of the Plover will be shared through the new ‘Tread Lightly – Hoodies Nesting’ program at Rye Back beach’s Mornington Peninsula National Park. Hooded Plovers are endangered shorebirds living and breeding on our ocean beaches. Kids will learn about their habitat, breeding cycle, threats, population monitoring and why they need our protection
Wildlife Detectives will be reporting for adventure duty at Coolart Wetlands and Homestead and Point Nepean as ‘Flora Explorer’ and ‘Wildlife Detectives’ helps kids learn plant and native animal identification skills in the coastal and wetland environment.
If you can’t make it to a ranger-guided activity this summer, you can still be a Junior Ranger. Check out the ‘Make and Do’ section of www.juniorrangers.com.au for fun activities you can download and take with you to any park or reserve.
All activities are free, but bookings are essential at www.juniorrangers.com.au. Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
For more information call 13 1963 or visit www.parks.vic.gov.au.
- Junior Rangers make memories and friends with nature this summer - 4 January 2018
- Yoga consultant offers insight into intention settings for New Year - 8 December 2017
- Victoria’s coastline calls for leadership and a visionary approach - 8 December 2017
- Salute the sun and the New Year – Mornington Peninsula beach yoga celebrates 10 years - 7 December 2017
- Apres Aqua has arrived - 28 November 2017
- Report highlights need for media literacy among Australian kids - 20 November 2017
- Kids shape the future of media and news in Australia - 10 November 2017
- Water Warriors and AFL players take a mark for the environment - 17 October 2017
- Active outdoor quests for curious kids these holidays - 14 September 2017
- National Threatened Species Day – Young environmentalists inspire peers to protect and preserve - 28 August 2017