With autumn setting in, the year is truly under way and in so many ways May is a month about giving. There’s Mother’s Day and Volunteers Week and it’s also time to “give” some serious thought to tax time and any winter-focused media releases. So as we head towards winter and the business end of the year, here are 10 great ideas to see you in the Media in May.
- The flower symbols of May are the common Hawthorn and Lily of the Valley.
- May’s birthstone is the emerald, representing success or love.
- The zodiac signs for May are Taurus (April 20 – May 20) and Gemini (May 21 – June 20).
10 Release Ideas for May:
- Mother’s Day – Falling on the second Sunday of May, Mother’s Day is the big-ticket event of this month when it comes to marketing. But it’s not just about buying gifts and pampering mums. This represents a great opportunity for some different angles around the date, including your concept of what makes a family great, how to cope if Mum is not here on Mother’s Day, and articles for women who have lost a baby or are trying to fall pregnant and how to cope with Mother’s Day.
- Travel – The good old winter getaway is beckoning for many as people plan a mid-year escape. Domestic travel is a hot item especially as we head towards the June long weekend and count down to the end of semester holidays. This is a great time for any travel related product releases or destination advice.
- Winter beauty, fashion and recipes – All media outlets will now be looking for winter themed releases such as recipes and the new season’s fashion tips.
- Federal Budget – On May 3 the Federal Budget will be brought down. This is a window for family budget tips or responses to budget initiatives.
- Tax tips – On the finance side of things, tax time is looming large. Any tips for minimising tax or utilising tax strategies are timely.
- Investment tips – It’s not just business affected by tax time. Tips for investors are also welcome including real estate investment ideas, repairs and easy renovations.
- May causes – May is a massive month for awareness days such as World Multiple Sclerosis Day on May 25, Spinal Awareness Week from May 25, Asthma Awareness Day on May 3, and No Tobacco Day on May 31.
- National Sorry Day – On May 26 Australia marks National Sorry Day. If you have any indigenous injustice stories or successes, this is a good time to have them in the news.
- International No Diet Day – Diets are solid media fodder, but International No Diet Day is a great time to talk about healthy eating and what makes a good diet.
- National Volunteer Week – From May 9 to 15, the volunteers of Australia are celebrated. If you are a volunteer organisation it’s a chance to profile your group or an individual member. Or if you have a staff member who is an amazing volunteer, a profile may be welcome in the local paper or industry publication.
Tip of the month
Make your staff media savvy – Educate your staff about great media opportunities and how to use them, and don’t forget to cover social media dos and don’ts.
We’ve enjoyed seeing so many Media Connections members in the media over the past few months, and hope to see more join the ranks over the coming weeks.
If you would like further tips, ideas and templates check out our PR Media and Marketing Companion in the media store.